The artwork on this note card was created by 5768 WRJ Art Calendar artist Césan d’Ornellas Levine.
Become an Advocate for Forests and Wilderness Areas
5 Actions You Can Take in 15 Minutes To Protect Forests
Here are five helpful tips we can all practice in order to protect our forests, the environment and our ecosystem:
1. Send a virtual postcard to the US Forest Service at https://www.fs.fed.us/about-agency/contact-us to support an effective policy to protect our national forests.
2. Reduce junk mail. Send a letter to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, POB 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008 asking to remove your name from mailing lists.
3. Buy one forest-friendly alternative to an everyday product. Some suggestions: avoid paper cups by investing in a reusable travel mug, buy stationary from tree-free paper or recycled paper with at least 50% post-consumer waste, share a newspaper or magazine subscription with a friend.
4. Make a commitment to purchase only wood products certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC); ask for them at The Home Depot and other building supply stores.
5. Pick two actions from the Environmental Protection Agency's "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" list and commit to doing them this year. Next year, pick two more!