The Balfour Brickner Clergy Seminar and Fellowship Program is designed exclusively to help Rabbis and Cantors bring social justice closer to the center of congregational life. Fellows will gain foundational learning and skills to become effective social justice leaders.
As part of this fellowship, participants will:
- Gain skills to bring social justice closer to the center of congregational life
- Connect with a community of Rabbis and Cantors to workshop challenges and celebrate successes of congregational social justice work
- Engage in RAC initiatives and leadership bodies to advance the work of the Reform Movement at the state and local level
- Root social justice work in Jewish text and tradition
The Fellowship includes:
- A 4-day retreat at the Pearlstone Retreat Center just outside of Baltimore, January 26-29, 2020 that will include training around leadership, community organizing skills and community building among the fellowship cohort
- Learning with retreat scholar in residence Professor Joshua Garroway, Rabbi, Ph.D., the Sol and Arlene Bronstein Professor at HUC-JIR in Los Angeles, California.
- Monthly distance learning calls with esteemed scholars and leaders in the Movement
- Guidance through cohort-based support to transform learning into action
- Participation in the 2021 Consultation on Conscience
- Attend the 4-day retreat
- Commit to meeting monthly through virtual platforms
- Engage in RAC’s Civic Engagement Campaign
- Make a meaningful financial gift to the RAC in 2020 and 2021
- Bring a delegation to the 2021 Consultation on Conscience
The program is open to members of the American Conference of Cantors, Central Conference of American Rabbis, the Rabbinical Assembly, the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association, International Rabbinic Fellowship, or the Rabbinical Council of America.
The program is free and includes double occupancy hotel accommodations, local transportation, and all meals for the retreat and the 2021 Consultation on Conscience. Participants are responsible for travel to and from the Retreat and the Consultation on Conscience.